Pages

Saturday 15 June 2013

Supreme Dicks, Vatican Shadow and Gnod

The other weekend was fun. Well, it was kind of a Thursday Friday weekend (30thMay-1stJune), but it was a lot of fun. Thursday night was Supreme Dicks at Kraak, an excellent night put on by a guy called Nick Mitchell, who works for Golden Lab Records and performs and records some excellent guitar based work under the name Chalaque. Supreme Dicks were supported by solid performances from Former Bullies and Gristed Petunia. The Dicks showed their support for the support acts by pausing in their pre-show consumption of dips and various dipping foods. Totally rock and roll. It was an awesome gig, and I'm so glad I went - The Dicks played earlier in the month at Dulcimer but I felt like I'd abused my going out privileges recently, and I bowed out so that Cattenberg could go instead, so when I found I had another chance to see the Dicks, I was as happy as someone who'd, well, just found out they'd got another chance to see the Dicks.
Friday was Vatican Shadow and Gnod at Islington Mill. I'd been debating whether to go, normally going to gigs solo doesn't worry me (thanks trolley dolly dude on the bus when I was 16 for the advice, it's been doing me service ever since), but 10-6 feels more like club hours, and I never quite got the hang of the idea of clubs or bars as a solo soul. That said, I really wanted to go, and at the Dicks the night before I found out that a couple of folks I know would be there, so I decided that worst case scenario I could just limpet myself onto them. Didn't go down that way, but it felt better to have the option. When I got there, the overly critical child of my mother kicked in, the defensive slightly cruel bitch of a push everyone away person I'm liable to become when I'm feeling insecure, but she soon subsided and got back in her box, and I danced with a lovely lady and we got talking, and over the course of the evening we had some lovely chats, and I had some excellent conversations with some beautiful people. Music was INCREDIBLE. I've been in the mood for this kind of thing for a while, the Gnod set was ace, as was that of Vatican Shadow. And I danced like a tool, which is my predominant, and favourite dancing style. I made some new casual acquaintances to say hello to, and on leaving I got given the lovely lady's phone number. All in it was a fabulous night, and there's another Gesamtkunstwerk night on soon. Hopefully some friends will want to go also, but it was fun solo. The guys at the Mill are a welcoming crowd, and I feel very much at home there.

No comments: