Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

I'm watching a lot of films at the moment. Some again, some for the first time.

There are a lot more on the to watch list, but I have more to do than just watch films all day...

The Fighter - films like this really remind you quite how good an actor Christian Bale really is. Obviously expensively shiny films often leave him looking amused. This, despite having money spent on it has at times a feel more in keeping with Australian cinema and is the better for it.

ParaNorman - this is a nice film. I'm not going to go into it - totally worth a watch, and I blooming love the Casey Affleck twist at the end. Something I've hoped for in many films, and never thought I'd get.

Frankenweenie - Tim Burton has been making run of the mill Tim Burton films for a long time now. Though without some of the excitement of earlier work, this is charming, and reminds you that Tim Burton when on form is still rather awesome.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - casting for Lisbeth was impeccable, and though some of the cast aren't who I would have chosen, the whole thing is done nicely. I think I need to watch the original.

Avengers Assemble - fun, but disappointing. It could have been much better.

Green Lantern - likeable, but trash. Also reminds me what is wrong with the young women of today - we grew up with Johnny Depp, they got Ryan Reynolds, poor buggers.

Robocop - is a film you have to watch now again to remind yourself just how great you'd forgotten it is.

Spiderman (Reboot, Garfield) - Casting better than Raimi, feels more like the comic than Raimi; still Raimi pulls together a better film over all, and he has Bruce Campbell.

Terminator - again, you forget how strong this is. Having tried to blot Rise of the Machines firmly out of my brain, I didn't watch any of the other films for a while either. I missed out.

Terminator 2 - As with Terminator.

Demolition Man - always makes you smile.

Tron - Because it's awesome. I think I wrote an essay juxtaposing Tron with Neuromancer once. As I recall, it was a great excuse to watch Tron over and over. Like I need an excuse.

Neverwhere - okay, technically a series, not a film. But it's excellent, and although when I read it I would maybe have cast it differently, the casting works beautifully, and the magic of the piece retained in spectacular fashion. Bit dated, but this actually seems to make it work better in a modern context, further distancing London Above from London Below.

All of the new Batman movies again - for a while my friend and I judged all situations by asking "What would Christian Bale do?" The answer is probably Tom Hardy, but I'm guessing Hollywood edited that out... Sexy series of films.

Inglourious Bastards - When this came out I think I was madly pregnant, or just popped, either way I missed a lot of films around that time. Glad I finally got around to this one.

Looper - Watchable, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis both play Bruce Willis exceptionally well.

Police Story - again, sometimes you just forget how great things are. Jackie Chan is amazing.

No comments: