Pages

Saturday 8 June 2013

Personal best: No mistakes or regrets in five, maybe six years. Think I'm about due for a major screw up.

Nope. Five years. Thought six might be a stretch, and pretty sure killing the car at the start of 2008 counts as something of a mistake. Still, five years is not a bad run...

The casual observer may think there's something amiss with this statement. 

Woodcat, your relationship with your child's father ended, do you not regret this? 
 - Well, not really. While it would be nice to be completely in love, and for that to be with him, we haven't had that for a long time, and spliting up has allowed us to regain a friendship that would otherwise have been lost. 

Woodcat, prior to going out with Cattenberg, you had a number of failed flings. Surely there were mistakes there? 
- No. Combatibility issues for sure, but I'm pretty sure that all parties were only in it for the short term benefits, and I don't think anyone's feelings were hurt, or any promises broken. I think the last time I regretted seeing or sleeping with anyone was 2007, and it was a bit messed up. I don't think I've been capable of sleeping with someone I didn't really quite like since sometime in 2008, which is probably a good thing.
What about times you cared?
- In those instances I got hurt. But that's part of who I am now. And I don't regret who I am. Besides, it would be foolish to regret being hurt over closing yourself off from the possibility. Truthfully, people I've cared about always tend to remain people I care about. It takes a lot to break that. Only a few have succeeded, and even then we're still friends. I'm surprisingly unfickle, and less flighty than I appear.

Woodcat, I seem to recollect some dubious instances at your old work...
- Not my fault, though taking the blame for it not to effectively ruin someone's life seemed the appropriate thing to do at the time. Though it disturbed me greatly, it was not my mistake, and I am damned if I will regret the actions of others.
There was one other dubious thing...
- If you can't wear pencil skirts, tight italian knitwear and red patent high heels to guarantee your holiday requests, then really, what is the point?

There are lots of things you want to do that you haven't done yet. Don't you regret this?
- Difficult. I think it's a shame I wasn't ready for who I wanted to be when I was younger. I found the idea of failed potential more intimidating than not trying. But I wasn't ready. Now I am.

You accidentally texted lots of embarrassing things recently
- Haven't we all? All my decent friends laughed at me


You messed up your coursework this year
- There was a lot going on. I dealt with it, and I'm back on track. Not dealing with it would have been a mistake. But forgiving my own fallibility? I'm okay with that. 

You got drunk and kissed a boy this year
- Heck, I was feeling affectionate, he started it and it was only a kiss. 

No comments: