Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Try it, you might like it

I'm trying to tidy up a madly disorganised external hard drive, and I'm finding all sorts of crazy filing messes. A copy of X-Men, albums all over the place, helpfully lurking in files labelled with obvious labels like "New Folder". And I'm finding little notes, such as this one. Bit wanky, but the sentiment is good. And I still do bad things regularly, so this is no less poignant now than it ever was.



Sometimes I think that for people to become enlightened it is necessary for them to be broken at least once. For only in the agony of my soul have I learned not to judge people by their actions. Only in the depths of despair have I learnt the truth and beauty that exists in the simplicity of the sunlight streaming through a cloudy sky. Only in the scars of my heart and the scars of my skin have I discovered that lines, as on a map, all lead somewhere new. I have learnt about my capacity to hurt and be hurt, and I have learnt that blame does not lessen the blow. I have learnt that revenge is not sweet, and that surprises are not always welcome. I have surrendered to a lack of control and allowed circumstance to define the moment. I have lived by the teachings of that inaugural genius Dr Pepper, or at least by the teachings of the ad man who came up with the slogans 'Try it, you might like it' and 'What's the worst that can happen?' I have done bad things, and learnt not to feel badly about it. I have learnt not to judge myself.

No comments: