Pages

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Talking to strangers

I remembered today some lovely advice I received when I was sixteen. I was on the bus on the way home from my weekend job, and I was sat next to a man who was early to mid twenties. He was new to Chorlton (the childhood home), and as he was working as a trolley-dolly-air-steward, and as it was dark, he asked me to let him know which stop to get off at. We talked all the way, and had a cup of tea at his house before I went home. - I must point out here, that the Woodcat would NEVER advise anyone to go to a strange man's house for a cup of tea. Behaviour like that is STUPID AND DANGEROUS. But the Woodcat's instincts for people and danger have always been inordinately good, bordering on superpower skills. Anyhow, I digress from the point, which is the lovely advice. We were talking about a film he'd recently seen, and I'd wanted to, but for a lack of a cinema buddy, and this was when he told me he'd gone alone, because

If you wait for other people to want do the things you want to do, you'll never get to do any of them.

If you want to see a film, see it. If you want to go to a gig, go. If there is an exhibition, do it. Live your life. No one else will.

Thank you Mr Trolley Dolly. Your real name escapes me, but your effect was profound. And you were very pretty. Thank you for the tea.

No comments: