Pages

Sunday 10 March 2013

I broke my foot!

I told you to get off. But no, two years have passed, and you didn't get off my foot.

Actually, I really have broken my foot. But I did it glamourously, by *drumroll please* walking. In flat, sensible shoes. Yes, it seems so. I met my friend Rae for lunch, and when I left, my foot was broken. I'm pretty sure he didn't do it. Nor do I think you can break your foot by sitting on a chair in the Eighth Day cafe on Oxford Road. So it must have been the walking. I probably didn't help it by going dancing at Underachievers the night after. In red patent high heels. I swear it was only to alleviate the pressure on the broken bit... On the other hand, co ordinating my underwear with my shoes was straight up just for kicks.

And more importantly, it was one of the last few Underachievers nights that are ever going to be. It's very sad, but looks like they'll be going out in fine style, tonight was Songs for Walter and Post War Glamour Girls, and the next few events are going to see sets from Kid Canaveral, Letters To Fiesta, Patterns, and, for the last ever Underachievers, Ghost Outfit. It's all pretty special.

So. The inevitable catch up. You're not interested, but I'll pretend you are. I'm nearly at the end of my first year in a Psychology and Speech Pathology degree, I've got three more years to go, and it's proving to be one hell of an adjustment to go back to education with a small child in tow. The small child is two and a half, and brighter than a box with wired up light bulbs inside. Really, I'd say I'm biased, but the nursery staff are constantly staggered. What can I say? I made a kid, I did it well.

I've only been to a few gigs over the last year or so, I saw Nina Nastasia and Sam Amidon in Leeds earlier in the 2012 (Nina Nastasia talks a lot about TV. Seriously a lot. I think I heard more about what she'd seen on TV than I did songs), Joe Pug at the Castle in August, Jens Lekman at the Ruby Lounge in September, and I saw Boris and Joe Volk on their split LP tour in December. Boris were AMAZING. And let's face it, they had a gong. I've still going to less stuff as I'm a responsible adult now apparently, but we've moved back to Manchester, so everything's definitely more available. (And the Boris/Joe Volk LP is in the boot of my car! I'm going to play it when I get home)

Anyway, enough procrastinating... I'm currently in the Library instead of out dancing, as I have a lot of coursework to hand in, and the Kittencat's father is off to Japan on Monday for a wedding. So I'm making the most of him this weekend, by abandoning him and the child to get some work done... Obviously I'm succeeding! Back to the grind, and I shall no doubt complete my work and stumble home shortly.

No comments: