Pages

Thursday 11 July 2013

Yesterday I was just a little bit envious

Yesterday Kittencat and I did something unspeakable. We went on a playdate. We've never been those people. I don't like people who have children as a rule, and Kittencat does not people just because they are children. So we shun those who we are supposed to like because of such categories, and only seek out those who interest us. A few weeks ago I went to a craft thing at Common, and got talking to some awesome women, one of who has a daughter 9 months older than KC, and yesterday we visited them for said playdate. KC and "the little gurl", as KC keeps referring to her, seemed to get on well, and I got a coffee in the middle of the day with a grown up who is an intelligent woman who just happens to have children. KC and I stayed for a lovely lunch of cheese toasties, and this is where I got the brief case of green eyed monster transformation. Her husband popped home for lunch and to take the "little gurl" to nursery, and I observed for about half an hour a beautiful example of a family. A couple who mesh well, who talk to each other, listen to each other, and don't dismiss the other in favour of the children, yet still manage to give their children attention and care. A couple who actually live together, not just in the same space. A couple who have combined and condensed their possessions into their existence as a couple. An actual, real, there in the reality in front of me couple. Envy. Melancholy. But it also made me smile, because it was beautiful. I wish I was better at life, but people who are good at it make me happy.

No comments: