Pages

Monday 1 July 2013

Don't disturb my friend, he's dead tired

I think this weekend half near killed me, so instead of heading to St Margaret's Church for Dirar Kalash and Lovely Honkey on Sunday night, I watched Commando, and erred on the side of a nearly early night. Friday night was my friend Paddington's birthday and the Dots and Loops party at Kraak. It was lovely to see Paddington, and hopefully I shall see him much more regularly from here on in. Corky, Timbretone and I left somewhere around 10-10:30pm to go over to Dots and Loops, and on the way we intended to go and drop in at Port Street to see some friends. We arrived at just before 11, but Port Street didn't like the cut of our respective jibs, and said that they weren't letting any more people in, despite being half empty and an hour to go until closing. Another of Corky and Timbretone's friends was in the same boat, having just arrived he was also left bereft on the pavement. In our (my?) merry state, this seemed an unfortunate state of events, so we dragged him along too. Plank! were awesome. Yeah, all in it was an excellent night. Left sometime after 3am, jovially talked to a lady wearing a skirt that didn't really cover sea level in the street, with the successful aim of seeming excessively pissed so as to discretely check that the three men flanking her in slightly predatory looking style were in fact people she knew, before getting chips, walking back to my car parked round the corner from where the Boardwalk used to be, driving home and being all at once slightly relieved and disappointed to find Kittencat happy and asleep in her own bed, not sprawled all over mine.



 Saturday was The Pharcyde at NQ Live, formerly Moho! and also formerly smelling very strongly of stale beer and piss. I'm thankful that the refurb seems to have got rid of the smell, and left basically a big room with a big bar. It's really not a bad space, though even fairly simply done it's a little shiny for my tastes. The Pharcyde were amazing. AMAZING. And although I didn't partake myself, I miss the smell of weed at hip-hop gigs, not least for the slightly more mellow, less elbowing me in the head, effect it has on the crowd. After playing through Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde, they performed a load of classics, as they put it the music that got them into hip-hop in the first place. The whole set was so exciting. They put such a lot in, they were paying real attention to the crowd, there was an after party at Night and Day (although I was a little too tired from getting up at 7am on 2hours sleep to be bothered going), and they seemed genuinely to be having fun, and to be excited to be doing what they were doing. I saw Wu Tang a few years ago when I was massively massively pregnant, and although the Academy is a very different venue, and they're very different groups of artists, the attitude brought and the experience as a whole could not have been more different. Wu Tang were seriously late, and when they came on they couldn't be fucked and gave a lack lustre blah of a performance. This on the other hand was positively joyful, and it seemed to be mutual to those on the stage as well as off. Despite being exhausted, this was an absolute privilege and pleasure to present for.

Yeah, my weekend was AWESOME. Hope yours was too.

No comments: