Pages

Saturday 7 March 2009

On Wednesday, I went to see Horse Feathers

The gig was amazing. The first support act didn't quite blow me away, I'd never heard Animal Magic Tricks, she has a nice enough sound, and a really good voice, and for the first couple of songs I was completely enamoured, but there was not enough going on in terms of range or variety to keep it entirely interesting for quite as long as the set lasted. Men Diamler was the second support, again, I've never heard before, but he was incredible, by turns ridiculously sombre and frenetically funny. Half way through he unplugged his guitar to play a song called Life is a Terrible Thing entirely within the crowd, and he was jumping in front of people and generally creating the best amount of uproar I've ever seen. And then Horse Feathers were just everything I could have wished for. And then some. I got hold of the first album, Words Are Dead, on iTunes late 2007 because I was becoming quite a fan of Peter Broderick, and I was interested in the other projects he was involved with. And I've been massively overplaying it ever since. Recently the second album, House With No Home was released, and it's ridiculously beautiful. They played a lot from the new album, as I think that's what most folks are more familiar with, and a decent amount of older ones, with an encore of Falling Through The Roof, and then when they'd finished we got talking to Justin Ringle who seems like an incredibly nice man, and disturbingly attractive when he smiles, and he gave me - gave me, how cool is that - a copy of their 7", and I paid some cash for a poster, and now I seem to have this deal with Justin Ringle that if I contact him and send him the monies, he will send me copies of both albums on vinyl! I'm so excited.(Though I will try and obtain them in ways that aren't inconveniencing nice folks that give me free stuff, but it's a lovely offer!)

As for the venue... Pretty good actually, a decent size for that sort of gig. Bar is downstairs, then there's a pretty big room upstairs where the bands play. I'm pretty sure when I was a kid Dulcimer was an amazing art supplies shop called Quarmbys, and the upstairs was a really cool toyshop, where I once got this puppet of a skunk. I'm pretty sure I still have that somewhere actually...

- I must confess, I felt absurdly bad about the idea of asking Justin Ringle to put himself out for me and send me vinyl, so I just sent him a message saying thank you for the 7", and how lovely it was to meet him. Then I looked on Amazon, and have bought a limited edition copy of Words Are Dead on vinyl for $16. It did surprise me, and amuse me, that there are 8 (now 7) copies for sale altogether, and 3 of those copies on there for nearly $60 each!

No comments: